Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Class and the Iron Bowl

 

I am what most people would call a Bammer. I have Daniel Moore paintings of great Bama moments. I have multiple Bear Bryant pictures and quotes posted around the house. I have pulled for the Crimson Tide ever since I could understand the concept of football. But what I had happened yesterday made me reconsider how I view losing. 

My boss at JOX, Ryan Haney, is an Auburn fan and grad. I had a little issue after running a UAB sports megacast and texted him for some help. Through combined efforts of texts to other members of the Cumulus staff we were able to straighten out the issue without the listeners ever knowing we had one. After that had subsided, my boss, who just witnessed one of the most agonizing losses of his program, texted me the following:


Him: Congrats on the Bama win. Hell of a game.
Me: Yes it was. Thank you, Boss Man.
Him: They played their asses off. Bama made the play when it counted. Respect. Y'all deserved the win. Now go beat Georgia. Wish the Iron Bowl was like that every year. Two teams laying it all on the line.

That was an amazing exchange. My boss was the epitome of class after a difficult win. Then I go to the cesspool known as Twitter/X and see this from  Cole Cubelic. And it hit me. 

Yes, I love to beat Auburn and win the Iron Bowl. But the game is so much bigger than that. I grew up with family that went to Auburn. I have friends who went to Auburn. I have coworkers who pull for Auburn. This whole state is divided between Alabaa fams and Auburn fans yet we work, live, and play together all year. I'm glad that I have Auburn friends who are classy regardless of the outcome. I think Alabama fans need to learn to be classier with victory and defeat. The Bear once said, 
“It’s awfully important to win with humility. It’s also important to lose. I hate to lose worse than anyone, but if you never lose you won’t know how to act. If you lose with humility, then you can come back.”

This state is imperfect. But we do football right. People notice that. Even folks whom you completely disagree with. This weekend is special each year because chaos is the only constant thing you can expect when it comes to the Iron Bowl. Punt Bama Punt. The Kick. The Camback. The Kick Six. The Crimson Crane. The Milthrow. All of these games make it so special. The camaraderie between neighbors who will always defend the state's football as the best football. It's something that even folks outside of the state know.  Whether it's Dan Bongino loving the atmosphere at Jordan Hare or Herbstreit and Fowler going nuts to the ending of the Iron Bowl, people know that the Iron Bowl will be a quality game. But what few people know, is that the Iron Bowl brings out the best in many. Here's to more great games and great fans who are great people. 









No comments:

Post a Comment